Saturday, April 11, 2009

{letter from Brian}

Hello everyone,
I am staying in Boardman with my companion for another six weeks. I am glad to be able to stay here in Boardman for at least another six weeks. My companion and I have been doing so much good in the area.
Speaking of my companion, We had a very good discussion on Saturday night about so many things that have been weighing on my mind. I have been getting many hints of people wanting me to discuss things with my companion and I wanted to be able to be led by the Spirit to explain these things to him. I prayed fervently to be able to talk with him in a sense that he would be able to understand and not become angry and resentful. I then proceeded to read D & C 121 when the Lord talks to Joseph Smith about why many men are called of God but they are not chosen. I read that and I decided to take the principles I had just read and applied them into speaking with him in a Christ-like manner. I felt that as a District Leader and a senior companion that I should try to follow how a priesthood holder and leader should discuss things with others. I was able to express not only my concerns but others concerns as well in a manner that I feel was pleasing to God and my prayer was answered. I listened to my companion as I always try to do when a person talks to me and I was able to listen to what the Spirit was telling me. I learned much about being a leader and how one person trying to do what is right can make a difference. I was able to show my love and care for him and in turn was able to help him to understand how he can more fully know how to love others, even through misunderstandings.
I could tell that he knew that I wasn't there just to attack him that I sincerely cared about him.
On another note, General Conference was amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed listening to the speakers and what they had to say to me. There were times that I felt like it was something that I didn't fully want to hear but I knew that I needed to and as I graciously took to and heeded their counsel I have found that my life has already begun to get so much better. I felt that they were talking only to me and letting me know about things to come and that I need to prepare now so that it won't be hectic later. I loved every minute of it and felt the Spirit of the Lord in the things they talked about. I also went in with questions and they were all answered through the Spirit.
I will always treasure the opportunity to listen to modern-day living prophets who receive guidance and revelation from the Lord. I know they are looking out for my own best interests to return to live with my Father in Heaven.
The Wallaces visited me this past weekend. We had so much fun 'catching up' on old times and current moments in life. It was wonderful to see them again and to talk to them face to face. By the way they say 'Hi'.
We've begun teaching the three young women. We taught them a first lesson, The Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and they enjoyed listening to the message. We are sincerely hoping that they are doing it for them and not for us! We want them to become converted to the Gospel for the intent to follow Jesus Christ and live his teachings all the days of their lives. We will help them to do that so that they don't become less-active statistics in the future.
And thus we come to Gina, o how quickly she comes to forget the goodness of God. She has turned to blame God for all of her problems and says that when she tried to do better she just simply had life harder. Although I know that because she is not willing to help herself there is absolutely nothing I can do. I still love and care for her but, the Spirit told me that there is nothing I can tell her because she is not ready to hear what she needs to hear. I know that she will not change while I am here but I am somewhat of 'guiding star' for her to look to for an example of a true disciple of Christ, at least she think so. I do the best I can to live the Gospel to my full ability and when I fall short I make the necessary changes to bring it back in harmony with the Gospel. I show her a way she can go but until she is truly ready to 'give up all [her] sins to know [Him]' she will not go anywhere in life and have 'to kick against the pricks and fight against God' until she truly is at her lowest and finally reaches her hand up for him to lift her higher. For the time being we will only be visiting her once a week because she asked us to so that we are not so subjected to her not wanting to change, even though she would like me to go by everyday. Although I know why he does what he does, my companion has created a gap between him and Gina. I know that she will ask the missionaries to stop coming by after I leave until she is ready to truly return to Christ. She knows how I feel with the fact that she is not willing to change but she still knows that I care so much for her and her eternal salvation.
Things are going quite well with me otherwise and I know that the Lord is always with me. I definitely do not dwell on how bad things are, I enjoy dwelling more on the wonderful blessings the Lord gives me daily and how much he loves me! It sounds as though things are going well at home and abroad and that the Lord is watchful and mindful of each one of you. I love you all so very much and I hope that things continue to look up and that you remember the Lord's blessings in your life. Remember John 14:26 and as time counts down all to quickly that I will be there for you all to take hold and learn of what I have done on my wonderful and most memorable mission for the Lord, my God!
LOVE YOUR MISSIONARY,
ELDER BRIAN BOWLER

0 friends had something to say: