Tuesday, March 17, 2009

{Letter From Brian}

Well Hello everyone,

Happy St. Patty's Day so don't forget to wear pink or you'll get a pinch to grow an inch, for some that may be desired. ;)
It has been quite a week this week. We had invitation Sunday and it was a great success. We had five non-members there and eight less-actives. Woo Hoo! The talks given were great for investigators and those who came really enjoyed it and ... my companion decided that he was going to tell the ward that we would sing in the choir. So we sang in the choir and did a good job. I'll be honest I don't mind singing in the choirs back at home but I really don't seem to enjoy singing in the choirs on my mission. I know this may sound strange but everyone could hear me sing the tenor part because I was the only tenor besides one of the sisters in the ward and she needs a person who can really hit the correct pitches. Anyways that was a random tangent.
Gina came to church again this week and also Jim Ward, a less-active we have been working with for the past three months, came because I made them both promise me they would be there. Of course, that didn't come without the scorning of the ward leaders. They told me that basically the only reason I believed them was because I was a missionary and that I shouldn't trust that they would come. They also said that they didn't have that kind of faith to believe people like that. You know me and how I've always been that way so, I just let them scorn me for what I guess is what they would call petty faith but I didn't let that bother me. They probably felt a bit humbled when they both showed up for church. I thanked God for giving me such faith to trust when others promise me.
You know I think that Boardman is a great place and I absolutely love it but the leadership of this ward is definitely lacking in faith and that is why the work is so hard here in Boardman. I will not give up on Boardman though because there is so much potential.
Speaking of potential we have three new potential investigators in a part member family. Three girls ages 11, 13, and 15. That would help boost the young women to involve them in church, new blood per se.
Also, I don't know if I told you about Ruth Green but she is an absolutely amazing investigator who has been meeting with the missionaries for about three years but I think that she is really wanting to take another step in her life. I will let you know how things go and I have the faith that she will make that next step and show the ward that she is not just a lost cause.
The work is starting to pick up in Boardman and I am so excited because the Lord has really blessed us for our efforts in finding and now they are just being put in our lap. I love the Lord with all my heart and I know that he is always watching over me. I could never deny what I know because of how gracious the Lord has been to me and I will always praise his name.
I got the package of clothes Mom and they are just fine. Thank you so much for doing that for me. I will be awaiting that talk that you have promised to send me.
Speaking of talks... Everyone is encouraged by me to get the talk entitled When All Eternity Shook by S. Michael Wilcox. It speaks of healing through the Atonement of our Savior Jesus Christ and how through him we can find peace and solace. My heart is lifted high above the heavens as I listen to this because it has helped me to realize that it doesn't matter what happens in our lives, the Atonement can truly help us and Christ will succor us because HE HAS BEEN THERE!!! Although I came to a realization of that near the beginning of my mission for the Lord, it has been reiterated to me through this talk. I would also encourage you to get the best of Jack Christianson. It will give you new insights to the people you encounter and for most who have a heart, it will send tears from your eyes as you hear these two most inspiring and wonderful CDs that you will want to listen to time and time again.
The Lord is our shepherd and we are his flock. Trust in him! He is ready to enfold his arms around you and let you know that everything is going to be fine while you are encircled in his love. In the Book of Mormon it talks about how the Lord's arms are always open and we just need to accept his invitation to 'come unto him' and partake of his goodness and mercy.
Elder Jeffery R. Holland has stated in a talk entitled Remember Lot's Wife: 'Faith and doubt cannot exist in our minds at the same time'. So just as Lot's wife are we looking towards the future and Christ or are we wishing we could go back to the way we used to be? I would admonish you to always do the former and let Christ heal all wounds and let go of what has happened in the past that often grieves us and weigh heavily on our minds. We have 'an eternal weight of glory' for us in the here after if we remain faithful to all He has asked of us.
Don't forget how much I truly love each and everyone of you. I miss you all so much but I am never too far away talk to. I am so eternally grateful for the opportunity to be here on a mission for the Lord and bring our brothers and sisters home to Zion. Thank you for all your support and remember John 14:27.

LOVE YOUR MISSIONARY,
ELDER BRIAN BOWLER

0 friends had something to say: