Thursday, May 1, 2008

Keeping my pantry stocked?

It's time for another dreaded Costco trip. Everytime I get back from there I am so happy because my pantry and my fridge are full. I love it! It makes me feel like a good mom to have full cupboards. I always promise myself that I am going to keep things stocked this time. But I always let it get down to the point of letting the kids pick if we are going to have frozen mixed veggies for dinner, or oatmeal. (OK, it's not quite that bad, but pretty close) Why do I do that??? Arrrgh! Maybe I just love the drastic change in my pantry from bare to overflowing, I don't know...
So how do you guys keep up with the vanishing pantry ingredients? Do you go to the store every day? (not really an option I like out here... there are no good stores nearby, and not too good for the ol' budget) Or do you keep a running list on the fridge, or are you just that organized? It's really something I need to improve on, so I want your ideas.
Also, what are some of your favorite pantry staples? The kind of stuff you always keep on hand so that you know that there is always a good meal option.

7 friends had something to say:

Letti said...

I wish I was more organized in that department. It seems like I am always missing one or two things to complete dinner. I am probably at the store three times a week.

heart nan said...

I'm not one to talk, but I like to keep a lot of those flavored rice-a-roni boxes on hand along with lots of frozen chicken tenders. So when there is "nothing" for dinner I can always make those (I just add the frozen chicken, when I add the water and cook them together), add a salad or vegatables, simple and good.

Amelia said...

I'm sort of like Letti too...it seems like my pantry is always stocked..but somehow I'm always missing just one or two things! I suppose we could do a menu for the week and just stick to it...but sometimes I can't decide what sounds good until that day...tell me if you figure out any good ideas!!

Kellie said...

I was really good when I first moved out here. I printed a month's menu and then made a shopping. It lasted a whole month.

Anonymous said...

I don't know... I never had a pantry. Ha. I guess I am in for a big battle. I love those rice-a-roni things Nan has. They are super cheep too. They are only a buck.

Jill said...

I love having a stocked pantry. I keep staples like rice, beans, pasta, pasta sauce, canned veggies, canned chicken and frozen chicken, hamb meet in the freezer ... I have an inventory sheet that when I take something out I cross it off, then when I go to the store I buy those things again. I make a two week menu and buy the things that I don't have that I need to complete the meals. (it usually lasts 3 weeks because of random ward partys or date nights or not feeling like cooking and just doing sandwiches or something)
I don't even know if any of that makes sense but thats what I do. It is sooo much cheaper for me to do it this way because I am keeping up with my food storage and rotating it and cooking good meals for my family.
I do really good with our grocery budget ... most people are shocked at what you can save when you just plan a little.

lynda said...

Mom - my girls love the rice-a-roni chicken dinner. We actually just had that for dinner tonight.:)

Jill - is your inventory sheet something you just did up yourself, or is something you found on the internet? It sounds like something I need to start doing.