Friday, January 2, 2009

Letter from Brian

Hi everyone,
Zone Conference was really god this year, not as good as last year but it measured up fairly well. Pres. Belnap gave a really heartfelt training on obedience and was very concerned about a few of the missionaries in the mission but for most of us it was just correcting our little disobedience's that we have, because even as missionaries we aren't perfect. For our Christmas movie we watched Rudy. I've always enjoyed that show, minus the swearing, because of the story behind or the message behind it. Sis. Belnap gave a good message about Christmas. She read a story called Teach the Children. A story about Santa teaching a woman the true meaning of Christmas and admonishing her to teach the children what things of Christmas truly meant. It was a really good story and she gave all of us the story so that we could always remember it. The slide show that we made as a mission was really good and we all have copies of that. Overall the Christmas Zone Conference was a great success.
Now, about calling on Christmas day I plan to call around 7:30am your time (6:30am my time) if that works for you guys. I will be able to call from the mission cell phone at that time so I don't tie up our members phone. Next week we basically get three P-days in a row because we get our regular P-day, Christmas Eve (in which we were told to strictly keep our visiting to the afternoon hours), and Christmas Day (where we are told to only visit if we have been invited) to ourselves. I will be able to e-mail next Tuesday so that everything is squared away with being able to call at the time I have outlined. Let me know if that won't work for you all.
I LOVE the Walty's! They are a great couple who always love to talk to us and to joke around with us. I love serving them in their own home and showing how much I appreciate them allowing us to be in their home. Sis. Walty still works but is retiring in January and Bro. Walty retired several years ago. They are so wonderful to allow us into their family because they have asked us if we would like to have family prayer with them each night. Of course you know me, I jumped all over that opportunity to have family prayer. I am just feeling so at home with the Waltys just like when I was at the Wallaces.
Speaking of the Wallaces I got a Christmas card from them last week telling me that they are going to be in AZ for Christmas because their son and daughter-in-law are going to be sealed in the temple. Also, I don't know if I told you that Bro. Wallace had gone in for surgery last month, but he is healing quite nicely. I miss living with them because they were like another set of grandparents to me and the Waltys make me feel that way too.
I did get the package that you sent and Bro. Walty had signed for it but I definitely got it and I just want to thank you for your thoughtfulness and your love.
I haven't been getting Bro. Schlappi's e-mail letters. I have been wondering when he was going to write to me but I guess he has I just haven't gotten them. I hope that whatever reason they haven't gone through will subside soon because I would love to hear from him. Of course, I think you are correct mom, he has really taken me somewhat as his own mostly because he had all girls and no sons to send on missions. I don't think any of his daughters have served missions but don't quote me on that. It is perfectly legal for him to e-mail me because that is generally easier for the public to get letters to missionaries.
Well, Elder Lunceford is doing quite well, he is growing in the gospel by leaps and bounds and he has really taken to my striving to be more obedient because of the miracles that I know will happen as we are obedient to the rules that we have been given as missionaries. Him and I are getting along well, we have fun together and we get work done in this wonderful town of Boardman. I just asked him if he knew any of those people you asked him and he said yes. How long ago was it that our family lived in south Orem? If it was at least twenty years ago than he said that it was highly possible that it was his family.
I am absolutely in love with Boardman just as I was with Milton-Freewater. It is such a wonderful place and the members are so amazing to just accept me the way I am and to strive to give their support. It reminds me so much of our ward back at home, which is why I love it so much. I just can't explain the feelings that I have about it but it is pretty much the same thing to me. And guess what, by our simple obedience miracles are beginning to come forth because there are people bringing forth people to teach. I know that is one of the great tender mercies of the Lord because He asks us to have obedience to his anointed servants and to him and he will bless us. I am so pleased that I have been taught such wonderful things from home. I don't think I will ever be able to thank you and dad enough for the many wonderful lessons you taught me when I lived with you in your home. You both did the right thing and even if I didn't like the way they were taught I definitely learned about obedience and the consequences for disobedience. Well, I think that you have been updated on my goings-on... except that we had an excellent lesson last night with a man named Tyler and he absolutely loves being able to talk religion with us. We definitely had the Spirit with us as we taught and he was enthralled in what we had to say and asked very good intriguing questions. I just love being able to talk to people who like to listen to what we have to say. I love you all very much and I Can't wait to talk to you on Christmas and remember John 14:27.

LOVE YOUR MISSIONARY,
ELDER BRIAN BOWLER

0 friends had something to say: